Anelakai Adventures - Night Manta Canoe Adventure
This tour is a must-do for anyone, locals and visitors alike, who are looking for an eco friendly way to have an experience of a lifetime with our majestic Manta Rays! Anelakai Adventures uses double hull canoes to let you snorkel and dive with manta rays in a whole different way -- in a small group, and at your own pace. You'll feel more relaxed and safe, which will let you concentrate more on the beautiful wonder of nature that you can only see in Hawaii.
Everyone will paddle the outrigger double hull canoe for a relaxing 5-10 minute paddle out into Keauhou Bay. You'll get views of the Hawaiian sunset without having to smell diesel fuel as you will use “paddle power” to approach the Manta Village. Once you arrive at the site your guide will turn on the spot lights as darkness falls while you wait peacefully until the mantas approach the boat. The mantas will be drawn in by their food, the plankton, which are attracted to the lights. Your group will then slip into the ocean wearing the provided snorkel gear to watch the rays swooping nearby, mouths open, to catch their dinner! You will stay safe between the hulls of the outrigger canoe with your guide nearby to ensure your comfort and give each participant personalized attention.
Also a great option for non swimmers or guests who might have trouble getting into water as it provides a great chance to view the Manta Rays right from the canoe.
- Short Paddle out to the site in a Double Hull Canoe
- Viewing opportunity from in the water or right in the canoe. Guest don't have to get out the canoe to get a view.
- No smell of gas or sound of a motor like other tours.
- Where and When:
- Tour start times depend on the time of year due to changing sunset times. Example times are as follows:
Tour 1 start times:
January, February, November & December: 6:00pm
March, September, & October: 6:30pm
May - August: 7:00pm
Tour 2 start times:
January, February, November & December: 8:00pm
March, September, & October: 8:30pm
May - August: 9:00pm
Check in 30 minutes before your tour time starts. Check in is at Keauhou Bay Boat Ramp just past the entrance to the Sheraton Keahou Resort at the end of Kaleiopapa Street.
78-7138 Kaleiopapa St
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
- Minimum Age: 5 years old. Guests younger than 5 may be allowed on tour depending on the adult to child ratio for each tour. Please call to discuss these options.
Maximum allowable weight per person is 250lbs. Guests should be able to physically climb into the canoe from the dock, climb over the floor of the canoe if sitting on the far side of the vessel and be able to pull their own body weight up the ladder to get back into the canoe from the water.
Advanced arrangements can be made to accommodate disabilities that hinder these physical requirements with advanced notice but the guest must still weigh no more than 250lbs.
There is an easy paddle out to the viewing site. While all guests are expected to participate in paddling, there are exceptions for younger children or physical limitations of any guests.
- Special Notes:
- Guests of all physical capabilities, disabilities, or unique abilities are welcome on tour with Anelakai! Please contact us in regards to any physical disabilities or unique abilities only to ensure that the proper staffing and equipment is available for the requested tour time and date and to ensure your experience is safe and enjoyable.
- Operation Days:
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday
- 1 hour
- Anelakai Adventures
- Wet Suit Tops and Snorkel Gear is provided. Depending on the tide there may be a 1-3 ft step down into the canoe. There is a ladder to get in and out of the water from the canoe, you'll need to be able to pull yourself up that ladder if getting in the water.