Hawaii Forest and Trail Mauna Kea Summit Hawaii Observatory Tours
Please note: Due to the popularity of this tour, please call us at 866-482-9775 to check availability if booking within the next month. Tour participants must be at least 16 years old to go to the summit.
Mauna Kea Observatory Tours offered by Big Island Activities Discount give you and your family and friends the opportunity to truly enjoy Hawaii’s beauty. Mauna Kea Summit Hawaii Tours are sure to whet your thirst for excitement! Mauna Kea Tours in Hilo are some of the most popular Hawaii Tours and Hawaii Activities, so you will want to be sure to book your Mauna Kea Summit Tours as soon as possible to ensure your spot. When you book your Mauna Kea Tours through Big Island Activities Discount, you save a bundle!
Mauna Kea Observatory Tours give you the chance to observe a stunning sunset from the summit of Mauna Kea over 13,000 feet above sea level. Then your Mauna Kea Summit Hawaii Tour group will go on to enjoy stargazing at the 9,2000-foot level at the amazing Onizuka Center for International Astronomy. Mauna Kea’s summit is famous for having the world’s most sophisticated and largest telescopes as well as being celebrated for its gorgeous snow-capped mountaintops in the winter. Mauna Kea Summit Tour participants are encouraged to wear comfortable walking shoes, warm clothing, and a jacket. Hot tea, hot chocolate, boxed dinner, cookies, bottled water, jackets, gloves, and telescopes are provided during these Mauna Kea Tours in Hilo.
Mauna Kea Tour participants are sure to be humbled due to the summit’s display of incredible power that created this amazing chain of islands. Once you see the huge Kilauea caldera and smell the sulfur, you’ll be able to understand the force that this place holds. It’s still remarkable to think that a rainforest is located next to the Hawaii Volcano National Park!
These Hawaii Activities give you a chance to really experience the majesty of the Big Island firsthand. You can select from Mauna Kea Summit Hawaii Tours or Mauna Kea Observatory Tours—either way, you are guaranteed an amazing time! Participating in Hawaii Tours such as Mauna Kea Tours in Hilo is easy and inexpensive when you book with Big Island Activities Discount!
Mauna Kea Summit Tours are perfect for everyone, especially the adventurer inside you who has always wanted to discover the wonders of the Big Island. Entire families will love hiking during Mauna Kea Tours and experiencing Hawaiian utopia up close and personal! When you’re booking your Hawaii Activities and Hawaii Tours through Big Island Activities Discount, be sure to ask about Mauna Kea Summit Hawaii Tours and Mauna Kea Observatory Tours!
- Visit the summit of Mauna Kea – elevation 13,796 feet (4,205 m)
- Enjoy amazing sunset views from the summit
- Peak through a telescope
- Descend to a lower elevation after the sun sets and sip hot chocolate
during a private star show with our 11” Celestron telescope
- Excellent stargazing location
- Expert tour guide will share interesting facts about the Big Island, Mauna Kea and the night sky
- Dinner choice of one of the following: Beef stew or vegan chili (gluten free)
- Assorted teas
- Hot chocolate
- Warm hooded parkas and gloves are provided
Mauna Kea Summit Tour Map
- Where and When:
- Afternoon departure, between 1:30 pm and 3 pm. The exact departure time depends on the season and will be specified on your voucher.
Tour departs from the following locations:
Hawaii Forest & Trail Headquarters, 73-5593A Olowalu St., Kailua-Kona, HI 96740 View Map
Please meet us across the street from Home Depot at our Kona Headquarters. This is a departure point for many Hawaii Forest & Trail Tours. This location also has a 900 sq. ft. retail store that includes outdoor gear and apparel, books, maps and gift items.
Queen's Marketplace, 69-201 Waikoloa Beach Dr, Waikoloa, HI 96738 (near Charlie's Thai Cuisine) View Map
The backside of this popular shopping area serves as a pickup location for many Hawaii Forest & Trail tours. Look for Charlie's Thai Cuisine, and HF&T will be at the curb!
- Please bring your own water bottle for use on tour. Water bottles are available for purchase at Hawaii Forest and Trail and a jug will be available for refills.
- Mauna Kea summit tours are not recommended for those with respiratory, circulatory or heart conditions (no pacemakers), pregnant women and those who have conditions not conducive to high altitude or physical activity.
Children under 16 are not permitted on this tour due to altitude.
The tour is also not recommended for people who have been scuba diving in the past 24 hours.
Participants will be required to sign a waiver of liability.
Participants should be able to hike on rocky or uneven terrain.
- Special Notes:
- Be prepared to encounter muddy, wet or cool conditions. The average mean temperature at the summit is freezing.
- Operation Days:
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday & Saturday
- Approx. 7-8 hours roundtrip
- Hawaii Forest and Trail
- Hooded parkas and warm gloves are provided. We utilize an 11 Celestron Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope for stargazing.