Hawaii Forest and Trail Endangered Native Habitats Adventure
This Big Island Hiking Tour is currently unavailable for booking on our site. Please visit our Big Island Hiking Tours page for other available tours.
The Hawaii Forest and Trail Rain Forest adventure takes you on an excursion to discover two unique habitats: the sub-alpine dry forest of Puu Laau located on Mauna Kea and the cloud mist Kipuka rainforest situated on Mauna Loa. These Big Island Eco Tours are extremely popular and when you book them through Big Island Activities Discount, you save a bundle!
The Endangered Native Habitats Adventure brings you to two completely opposite environments both located on the Big Island. At Puu Laau, you will wander through the sub-alpine dry forest situated on the western side of Mauna Kea. This region is home to the rare bryani and palila sub-species of elepaio. The other backdrop for this Big Island Tour is the Puu Oo Trail, located in a cloud forest habitat on the northeastern region of Mauna Loa. Here, the Hawaii tour group will search for the endangered Hawaiian thrush, akiapolaau, apapane, and iiwi. These Big Island Activities are some of the most unique and amazing tours offered through Big Island Activities Discount.
During your Hawaii Forest and Trail Rain Forest and Hawaii Dry Forest Adventure, you’ll be driven to the two main locales. Your Big Island tour group will travel north along Oahu’s coastline before beginning your exhilarating climb to the Mamalahoa Highway. Along the way, your Big Island Eco Tour guide will inform you to keep an eye out for open birds. Then your Hawaii Tour will connect to Saddle Road and your group will start car birding for game birds including the short-eared owl. Your Hawaii Tour group may even get a chance to stop for breakfast at a scenic spot along Saddle Road.
Be sure to utilize the Hawaii Forest and Trail map for convenient directions to guided tour locations and meeting places.
When you’re booking your Big Island Activities, Big Island Eco Tours, and Big Island Tours through Big Island Activities Discount, be sure to ask about the
- Fascinating birdwatching adventure
- See two of opposing environments: a cloudmist rainforest and a sub-alpine dryforest
- Great photo opportunities
- Continental breakfast with baked goods, fresh local fruits, 100% Kona coffee, tea and hot chocolate
- Deli-style lunch with assorted soft drinks, juices and bottled water
- Walking sticks, binoculars, day packs, warm wear and rain ponchos
Hawaii Forest and Trail
Big Island Eco Tour
- Where and When:
- Tour departs at 6:30 am and returns at approx. 4:00 pm.
Departs from Hawaii Forest & Trail Headquarters, 73-5593A Olowalu St., Kailua-Kona, HI 96740 View Map
- All Guest Must:
- Provide Proof of a negative COVID-19 test through the Hawaii Safe Travel Program or proof of 14 day quarantine (airline generated flight itinerary). Test results must be presented upon check-in.
- Complete a Health Questionnaire and temperature check with contactless infrared thermometer completed prior to participation.
- Wear a face mask at all times in the vehicle and wherever social distancing is not possible.
Please bring your own water bottle for use on tour. Water bottles are available for purchase at Hawaii Forest and Trail and a jug will be available for refills.
- Participants must be at least 8 years old.
Participants must be able to hike on uneven or rocky terrain.
We sometimes encounter cool, wet, or muddy conditions.
This is a moderate to strenuous hike.
- Special Notes:
- Operation Days:
- 11-12 hours round-trip from Headquarters
- Hawaii Forest and Trail
- Walking sticks, binoculars, day packs, warm wear and rain ponchos are provided.